I’ve read that on Facebook way too many times, and it’s increasingly pissing me off.
Today, it is just not OK anymore to have something as important as a contact list sitting on a standalone device, and not keeping it in sync with one of the millions services that are available out there. Some of your friends won’t mind the occasional FB status like the one titling this post (I sure as hell will), but what do you do once you’ve lost all your work-related contacts?
So I hope this will come as obvious for you, reader, but if we assume your phone remains the main input device for any new contact:
- it’s an iPhone, use iCloud
- it’s an Android, use Google Contacts
- it’s a Blackberry: I don’t know, I’ve never used one, but you are one Google search away from your solution
- it’s a Windows Phone, use Outlook contacts
- it’s still a feature phone, put them on your SIM card and your carrier will keep them in sync
And if you don’t know how to do any of this, please have me know and I promise it’ll be my pleasure to guide you through it. Teach a man how to fish…